Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Apartment Shopping in NYC

Rules: Never get rushed by a broker. Rush only if you love the place and the market is hot. Otherwise, don't rush, there are millions of apartments
Try to avoid paying a broker fee. They suck & are expensive.
Secretly be slightly excited about a lousy economy because it lowers rent.

A few weeks ago, my current roommate, my friend, aaron & I began the apartment search. We noticed that prices had been going down all around the city, and so we said we'd take a look. We found a place that is a nice area, closer to work for all & has beautiful views from a patio and roof deck.

We looked at a few places. One was a converted bakery, had great living space, but super small rooms. Also, it was kind of dark and dreary.

Another place had great living space, and decent rooms, but they wanted a 2 mo deposit & 1st month's rent (which came to like 3K) and we said no, no, we won't go.

Then we found this place. I initially was annoyed because the broker was trying to rush me, but he softened up after showing it to some other people, and we took the 'negotiator' *Aaron* in to get some direct answers and it worked out! We are all excited!

Here are some pictures!

one of the bedrooms:
the patio
the kitchen!!! it's bigger than 6X8! I'll have to change my baking blog!\
AND there is a dishwasher! woo hoo!

View from the Roof! Me jumping, cause I'm excited!

2 Comments:

At February 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Kristi said...

A dishwasher! I'm so jealous. That looks like a very nice kitchen, you'll beable to whip up some great baked goods in there.

Everything looks great, and what a view!

 
At February 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Anne said...

How fun! I love the pictures and the advice. In case I'm ever in the market for an apartment in NYC.
:o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home